Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Spain 4

...So we were happy to have the cabin, but also scared to sit anywhere. And then a cockroach ran by Alason´s foot. That was the last straw. It was one of those situations where you just knew that you could cry any moment, but you end up laughing out loud. Keri, I´m glad you weren´t there.
When we were walking down the street in Tangier, I leaned over to Alason and said, ¨I have the feeling the worst part of our day hasn´t happened yet.¨ And I was right.
So our boat is sitting at the dock, not moving forever. Finally it starts going and we leave. We joke that our last 9:30 ferry probably would get to Spain before us. Then after the 2 1/2 hours, we get to the bay of Algeciras, where we are supposed to get off the boat, and after maybe 20 minutes, we realized we weren´t moving at all. Keep in mind, we are standing in our cabin. I just wasn´t willing to touch those beds. At all. We stood almost the whole way. There wasn´t even a safe place to sit. Ew.
Ok, so long story short, (too late) our ferry sat in that bay for an hour. Which totally sucked. Then it was finally time to get off the boat. So we went into this area where everybody was in line to get off the boat. They all had suitcases and luggage, like in the airport. So there were hundreds of people crowded around a 3 foot opening where the door was supposed to open. We stood there for about 30 minutes. No exaggerations here. People were pushing and shoving. We were at the very back of the crowd. We found a short cut to the front of the line and we took it. I felt guilty, but I also had to get off that boat! We had no luggage. We should have been able to negotiate our way out the door quickly. Wrong. We were pushed and pushed and shoved and everybody was screaming at eachother. I thought for sure when the door opened somebody would be smooshed to death. Like at a soccer game.
Finally we got out of the boat. Two little girls pushed into us so bad, we had to push back. Then we got off the boat, and ran and ran and budged in front of whole families. We were crazy to get out of there. We were almost first in line at the passport area. And I got my fourth stamp there. I paid $150 for 4 stamps in my passport, 2 hours in Morroco, and 8 hours on a dirty gross ferry.
I think in hindsight, we only got to really see the area right near the harbor. Tangier is probably a very lovely city, with lovely people. We just didn´t plan it properly and ended up having a really bad impression of everything. Our hotel offers a day trip to Morroco with camel riding, etc. That would have been the ticket. I´m just such a snob about tours, and prefer to explore things on my own. I will reconsider next time before I do it where I don´t speak the language. We are on our way home, I´ll probably finish the journal once we get home. We had an awesome Thursday and Friday, I´ll tell you all about it later.

No comments:

Post a Comment