Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Spain 2

Well, Morrocco was the armpit of the world. Let me tell you, we almost burned the clothes we were wearing.

First of all, the trip was SUPPOSED to take about 2 hours. 1 hour to the port, and 1 hour on the ferry. It was SUPPOSED to be about 18 Euros, or $22. Well when we got there, the shortest ferry was 2 and a half hours and cost 32 Euros per person, each way. So that was $75 per person. Then when we got there, it looked so beautiful from the ferry. We get off, and immediately are whisked away by this guy who looked like a guard. He had a wool trenchcoat and a laminated name badge, and told us that to get back across the ferry on the way home, we would need yellow immigration cards. We had to fill out white ones on the ferry on the way there, so we followed him. But then we realized we were the only people he took aside so we said, no thanks, and left. He was trying to sell us a tour.
So then not a minute later, another dude acosted us and tried to sell us a walking tour for 10 Euros for everybody. We didn´t want to go on any tours. He followed us for a mile. No joke, a whole mile, talking the whole time about his tour. He woudn´t leave us alone even when we completely ignored him. So then we were really stressed out by the time we got off the dock and to the entrance gate to Tangier, Morrocco. Look it up on the internet. Anyways, we just left him there and started walking through the streets. I wish I could describe to you how I felt. I guess I felt hated. There were no women on the street. All the men were staring at me. I didn´t know if it was because we were literally the only white (American/British-looking) people anywhere, or because we were women without our heads covered, or what, but it was so uncomfortable. I wanted to take a picture. But I felt very very uncomfortable so I didn´t. The stores were all next to eachother and we didn´t want to go in them. I took my scarf eventually and wrapped it around my head. That made me feel a lot less stared at, but then I started to feel uncomfortable in a different way, like I didn´t want to offend any body religiously, so I took it off. It´s so hard to describe - it was just awful. That´s when we stumbled into the meat market. The most disgusting place I have ever been to. Ever. Including the worst thing you can even think of. Double the worse part and then triple it. It smelled like you´re imagining right now. There was blood runoff and guts at our feet. All the meat was out in the open and smelled so gross. We hightailed it out of there and walked some more. We ended up in a much better part of town and ate at a - drum roll please - Pizza Hut. Yes, at Pizza Hut. But I was never more happy to see that symbol, that American symbol than I was yesterday. Wow. And the pizza was super good. Amazing. The server put out paper plates in front of us and turned the plates properly so the logo was facing each person.
Anyways, after that we decided to take a little walk and try to make our way back to the ferry, since we did NOT want to miss it. Our ferry was supposed to leave at 9:30pm...
to be continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment